Thread: New to bowl/Technical skating, what do I need in a setup?

Default New to bowl/Technical skating, what do I need in a setup?

So I've decided to start skating bowls/technical, but I just came off street skating. So I have no idea what I'd need in a setup.
    I have an 8.5 Mini-Logo Deck with riser pads, Sonora Black Thunder Trucks, Black panther bearings and some fairly wide wheels(dont know the measurements).
    I also have some wider wheels that came off an old GT Coyote 3.
    I dont know what I'm talking about. Lol. Any recommendations or can i shred the bowl with the board I have now?

By street you mean downhill or street skating? the setup seem just fine but what size and duro are the wheels? if they are like 55-57mm your fine. setups not so important, getting used to riding a bowl is, if thats what your going for.
    "If you're a true skateboarder man, like, you dont know, you dont care and you dont do anything else. Like, I skateboard man, thats who I am, at the core of who I am."
    - Jeff Grosso

You're deck size is perfect; I'd get bigger wheels if you don't already have them, I'm skating 55mm right now cause they are big enough for bowl, but good for street too. If you really wanna be a bowl skater, buy some Independent trucks. Maybe some knee pads depending on how deep the bowl is. You will look bad skating street with pads, but wearing a helmet and kneepads in a bowl is pretty normal for older skaters, so no one really cares from what I've seen. Especially helpful to wear pads since it's a whole different world from street and you will probably fall.
    "Skating doesn't make you a skateboarder, not being able to stop skating, that makes you a skateboarder." -Lance Mountain
    If you're bored, check out my Youtube. Can't hurt right?!?
    http://www.youtube.com/ThatSkaterGuyy

Your setup sounds fine even if it's not ideal. Once you get decent at riding in a bowl with your current setup when you use a specialized skateboard for bowls or decide to upgrade you'll rip ****.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8erboi5229 View Post
    You're deck size is perfect; I'd get bigger wheels if you don't already have them, I'm skating 55mm right now cause they are big enough for bowl, but good for street too. If you really wanna be a bowl skater, buy some Independent trucks. Maybe some knee pads depending on how deep the bowl is. You will look bad skating street with pads, but wearing a helmet and kneepads in a bowl is pretty normal for older skaters, so no one really cares from what I've seen. Especially helpful to wear pads since it's a whole different world from street and you will probably fall.
    Take it easy on that " older skater" stuff. Haha
    "If you're a true skateboarder man, like, you dont know, you dont care and you dont do anything else. Like, I skateboard man, thats who I am, at the core of who I am."
    - Jeff Grosso

yo as long as you have a board u can skate

Speed Junkie

Pads in a bowl make life easy...
    that's gonna leave a mark.........yup gravity still works

Quote Originally Posted by XGer22x View Post
    Take it easy on that " older skater" stuff. Haha
    Lol I'm just saying; you hit 30-35, I imagine it gets harder to run out of tricks. I plan on padding up more when I get older lol
    "Skating doesn't make you a skateboarder, not being able to stop skating, that makes you a skateboarder." -Lance Mountain
    If you're bored, check out my Youtube. Can't hurt right?!?
    http://www.youtube.com/ThatSkaterGuyy

Speed Junkie

Looking at older bowl skaters you will likely notice that pad sliding is automatic....this because they have years of practice not because they chose to pad up at some arbitrary age. Running out bails is brutal on knees and ankles, hip sliding is a great way to promote arthritus in you 20's. Pads in the street is counter productive but in a roundwall setting it adds years to your enjoyment
    that's gonna leave a mark.........yup gravity still works

I always at least where kneepads. Knee sliding also helps prevent some little annoying injuries like jammed wrists and such. And its just too easy to tweak an ankle running out of things. Xgecko hit it on the head, watch Salba bail he slides almost better than he skates.
    - Jeff Grosso